Poynter's News University, Journalism's E-Learning Leader, Registers Its 250,000th User
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., April 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Poynter Institute's e-learning project, News University (NewsU), announced today that it has registered its 250,000th user, marking a significant milestone for a program founded on the principles of flexible, focused and affordable journalism training.
Over the last eight years, Poynter has created an online learning environment that recognizes the need for 'just-in-time' training for diverse audiences. NewsU, with its more than 275 training modules in four languages, offers the world's largest online journalism curriculum.
Two hundred and fifty thousand registered users is not the only number that reflects the significant contribution NewsU ( www.newsu.org) is making to journalism training. With users in more than 200 countries, Poynter NewsU has achieved a global impact that wasn't anticipated at its conception in 2005. Today, 14 percent of NewsU users are from outside North America, with India ranking behind the U.S. and Canada in number of users followed by Australia, the Philippines and the United Kingdom."NewsU is the perfect complement to the rich, in-person teaching that is Poynter's hallmark," said Poynter President Karen Dunlap. "We are committed to helping anyone learn anywhere at anytime. NewsU's self-directed and online group courses, Webinars, video tutorials and much more move us to our goal." Poynter NewsU was created and initially supported with two five-year grants from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Those grants allowed for the creation of many of the free or low-cost training modules. Additional partners have supported other training for journalists and others. And a grant from the Harnisch Foundation supported the development of the studio from which NewsU broadcasts more than 50 Webinars and online seminars a year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV