Career Coach: Who to Hire, Who to Fire
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Career coaches, like personal trainers, tax-preparers and housekeepers, are one-time luxuries that have now found a place in many professionals' third-millennium support systems.
Every Olympic athlete knows that choosing the right coach can determine the difference between going for gold and going home empty-handed. Now, many professionals, including a respected surgeon writing in The New Yorker, feel the same.
Alas, finding a canny career coach is only slightly less daunting than winning the gold. Career coaching is a magnet for mediocrities; those who can't do, coach. The wrong coach can hurt, not help so caveat emptor
The following slide show will introduce the dramatis personae of career coaches. Understanding the player profiles -- and their individual pros and cons -- will allow you to better choose a coach that will award your career with a winning edge.Make sure to see the last page for my five questions you must ask any potential coach. Agree? Disagree? Please share your career coaching experiences in the comments section of this article.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV