SEVERNA PARK, Md., April 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Medical technology company, iSonea Ltd. (ASX: ISN; OTCQX: ISOAY), launched Thursday the newest smartphone asthma management application, AsthmaSense™ Cloud, to help asthmatics adhere to physician-prescribed treatment plans.
The AsthmaSense Cloud application, available on iPhone and Android platforms, has enhanced features to track and manage chronic asthma including:
- Safe storage of a user's asthma profile and event history in a password-protected, HIPAA-compliant, cloud-based data warehouse;
- Protected access and easy data recovery if one's phone is replaced, lost, stolen or damaged;
- Ability to view and edit the application data on a computer;
- Tracking system to identify potential risk patterns and trends in asthma symptoms, medication use and testing results;
- Interactive medication and testing reminders as well as medication usage records;
- One-touch dialing of contact numbers, including auto-selected emergency number based on GPS location; and
- The ability to maintain multiple user profiles with a single application; a benefit to families with more than one person suffering from asthma.
"Growing asthma trends represent a serious challenge in the United States and globally," said Michael J. Thomas, chief executive officer for iSonea. "The need for better, consumer-friendly asthma management tools is critical to improve the patient's well being while reducing costs."By improving awareness of symptoms, asthma episodes, medication usage and potential risks, AsthmaSense Cloud can help asthmatics adhere to a physician-prescribed treatment plan." According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated 25 million adults and children in the United States have asthma. It is estimated that asthma affects 300 million people globally, and an additional 100 million people will suffer from asthma by 2025 1. Increased emergency room visits, hospitalizations, medical costs and deaths reinforce the need for better monitoring. The AsthmaSense smartphone application provides patients and caregivers with an easy-to-use monitoring tool that sends alerts and reminders to help manage the condition in accordance with a physician-prescribed treatment plan. The addition of a convenient cloud portal increases the flexibility of storing, sharing and editing data.