TORONTO, April 11, 2013 /CNW/ -
Ryerson Review defends its Wentegate analysis By Brittany Devenyi and Rhiannon Russell When the Ryerson Review was initially writing its cover story on the Margaret Wente plagiarism scandal, The Globe and Mail's publisher Phillip Crawley told the team of student writers that "If the Ryerson Review publishes a piece about the Globe that is balanced and fair, that will be a first." Taking it as a challenge, the students say they were acutely aware of the challenges of writing about one of Canada's biggest journalism stories of 2012. You can read their defence of their coverage and the RRJ's original story on J-Source.
Penashue accuses CBC reporter of treating him "unfairly;" adds CBC and Liberals are "like family" By Tamara Baluja Former Tory Labrador MP Peter Penashue says CBC reporter Peter Cowan treated him unfairly and accused the CBC of being like "family" with the Liberals. Cowan stands by his stories, for which he has been nominated for a CAJ Award.Community curation website Newsana launches By Tamara Baluja Newsana has drawn many comparisons to the social media site Reddit, but its co-founder Ben Peterson argues Newsana will be maintain a higher standard than Reddit and will focus on quality journalism. Ethics: How the Nanaimo Daily News should have dealt with the racist letter to the editor By Ginny Whitehouse The Nanimo Daily News publisher may not want that racist letter to the editor to define the paper's identity, but it certainly shaped public perception. Making the newspaper look bad isn't the real ethical issue: Having an entire people's identity marginalized is a much bigger problem. The absence of a bad intention does not excuse a bad result, writes a journalism ethics professor. PEOPLE NEWS
- George Stroumboulopoulos named host of new CNN summer show
- Stephanie Nolen to head Globe's new Latin American bureau
- Jennifer Pagliaro, Katie May named Goff Penny award winners for young Canadian journalists
- Postmedia chairman Ron Osborne died
- Canadian journalists Ali Velshi, Wab Kinew join Al Jazeera America
- Ian Haysom, Bill Good, Ed Mason among recipients of 2013 RTDNA Lifetime Achievement Awards
- The Lance gets temporary reprieve; must submit new operating plan by month's end
- What to expect in RRJ's final summer issue
- Beyond Borders accepting media award submissions
- CTV British Columbia garners 7 wins at RTNDA B.C. Regional Awards; CBC Edmonton leads with 6 wins in Prairie Awards
- Double Standard for Reporting Rape?
- CAJ finalists announced
- Jack Webster Foundation names 2013 fellows
- Public editor defends Toronto Star's use of anonymous sources for reporting on Ford's alleged alcohol abuse
- Pondering journalism's future in a digital universe
- CBC Hyperlocal project a first for Canada
- Peter Mansbridge's advice for young journalist
- Live chat: Canadian Press reporters discuss Ralph Klein and media coverage of the man
- TRADIGITAL Live chat: Exploring the expanding role of digital journalism in traditional media
- Twitter tips for journalism students from Mark Luckie, Twitter's manager of journalism and news
- April 16: NNA Multimedia Finalists Webinar
- April 16: Worldviews Pre-Conference Event: The War on Knowledge?
- April 20: TMH/RTDNA Professional Development Session
- CJF J-Talk: Tyler Brûlé
- CJF J-Talk: The Walking Dead: Do Traditional Art Critics Have a Future?
- April 27: Ontario Newspaper Awards Dinner
- All events