April 11, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- In striving to offer more adults without a high school diploma an opportunity to obtain a high school credential, as well as basic technology skills,
recently partnered with
GED Testing Service
to offer the GED test on computer. Online registration, scheduling and testing is now available to test-takers.
"The GED test on computer provides a more flexible and efficient testing experience for adult learners who often need to move very quickly into jobs or training programs," said
, president of GED Testing Service. "Over the past year we've found that adults who test on computer score higher and finish the exam faster, and we're excited that this offering is now available across
joins 41 states that have begun offering the GED test on computer since early 2012. Adult learners across the country have taken advantage of the new benefits, such as online scheduling and registration, instant unofficial score reports, and increased testing flexibility. More than 40,000 computerized GED tests were given in 2012 and yielded significantly
for test-takers. Specifically, GED Testing Service found that:
- Adults who tested on computer had an 88 percent pass rate compared to 71 percent for those who tested on paper.
- Adults who tested on computer completed their exams in approximately 5.5 hours compared to 8 on paper.
- Adults who tested on computer were also 59 percent more likely to retake a failed test instead of giving up and dropping out of the testing program.
In addition to the new benefits for adult learners, many Californians will pay less for the computerized exam. In some locations, fees will be reduced by more than
because paper-and-pencil testing fees can soar to
"We're no longer tied to scheduling tests once or twice a month. Students will be able to book tests whenever they want," said
, assistant principal at Ventura Adult & Continuing Education, which was the first testing center in the state to deliver the GED test on computer. "Everything's becoming more and more computer-based and there are people who are actually not comfortable with pen-and-paper tests anymore."
The launch also allows adults in
to take advantage of a new GED Testing Service offer. Through
May 31, 2013
, adults in
who choose to begin their GED test on computer will receive one free retake if they fail a test. To view full details of the new offer visit,
"I thought it was easier, faster and better than taking the test on paper," said
, who was one the first computerized GED test-takers in
. "I would highly recommend it to other test-takers."
GED testing on computer is available at the following locations:
- ABC Adult School, 12254 E. Cuesta Dr., Cerritos, CA 90703
- Allan Hancock College, 800 South College Dr., Santa Maria, CA 93454
- Antelope Valley Adult School, 45110 3 rd St. E., Lancaster, CA 93535
- Hacienda La Puente Adult Education, 14101 E. Nelson Ave., La Puente, CA 91746
- Riverside Adult School, 6735 Magnolia Ave., Riverside, CA 92506
- Technology Development Center/Ventura Adult Education, 5200 Valentine Rd., Ventura, CA 93003
- Woodland Adult Education, 575 Hays St., Woodland, CA 95695
Computerized GED testing is expected to quickly expand across the state in the coming months.