For some investors, only the long-term matters in their buy and sell discipline, and therefore they should only heed my comments regarding the longer-term time frames. For other investors and traders that have a more short-term orientation, they may want to ignore the longer-term outlook and focus on what I say about the shorter-term picture.
Either way, whether you are a long-term investor or a short-term trader, you need to have a pre-established system in place for buying and selling. If you are a long-term investor and you are currently thinking about selling because you are nervous about stocks being at all-time highs, then stop!
Being nervous about all-time highs is not a sound reason to sell stocks. Similarly, if you are an investor or trader that is nervously watching the market make all-time highs and you feel anxious to buy because you do not want to be "left behind," then stop! All-time highs and/or a fear of being left behind is not a sound reason to buy stocks.
Take a step back, take a deep breath, get a system, and stick to it.In the near future, I will be writing about my own systems that you can consider adopting. -- Written by James Kostohryz. Follow @jameskostohryz This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV