NEWARK, N.J., April 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- PSE&G is urging its customers to be alert to a scam that is increasingly targeting small businesses. In the scam, which has been reported across the country, individuals misrepresenting themselves as PSE&G employees threaten to turn off electric and gas service if payment is not made to them that day.
The scam involves payments using Green Dot MoneyPaks. As noted on the MoneyPak packaging and on the company's Web site ( www.moneypak.com), to protect themselves from fraud, consumers should treat the MoneyPak like cash and only use the MoneyPak number with businesses on their approved partner list.
PSE&G has alerted its customers to similar scams in the past. In recent weeks, however, a new tactic has emerged that is targeting small businesses. Here is how the scam works:
- An individual pretending to be a PSE&G employee calls a small business customer to schedule a meter replacement, but says the work cannot be completed until the customer's balance is paid off. In some cases, customers are told their meter is broken and must be replaced for a hefty fee.
- Customers are told to purchase a Green Dot MoneyPak at a pharmacy or convenience store, use cash to put money onto the card, and then provide the number on the card to the person who called them.
- Customers are advised that if they do not immediately call back and provide the MoneyPak information, the meter replacement will not be scheduled and their service will be turned off that day.
- When customers provide the MoneyPak number, they are told that someone will be out to change their meter later that day. Meanwhile, the scammer transfers the funds to a prepaid card and cashes it in at an ATM.
- In many cases, customers who fall victim to the scam do not realize they have been defrauded until no one turns up to replace the meter.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts