What this means for investors is that, over time, you get a rotation away from cloud specialists toward enterprise generalists. There are huge opportunities in re-writing client-server applications to run on cloud stacks, in building and managing a new class of smaller, cloud-compatible data centers. This is the kind of work in which companies including IBM (IBM) and HP have specialized for decades.
The cloud is something you can buy, rent or build yourself. Everyone in the computing space now seems to understand this. The whole industry is adapting itself to this new reality. Like the revolutions that came before it, this is crushing margins and crushing whole sectors of the old industry.
Anyone who is specializing in the old enterprise space, with its client-server architectures and high-end servers, is vulnerable to the new era of cloud as product as well as service. In the end, it all becomes software, software that runs on standardized hardware. Networking becomes software, storage becomes software, computing becomes software.
I want to end this close to where I began it, with Piston Cloud. Everything in the cloud space is evolving, as previous generations of computing did, toward something you can hold in your hand. Know this trend, and evaluate your cloud technology portfolio based on it.At the time of publication, the author was long IBM, YHOO and GOOG. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV