April 11, 2013
- Very stable development in customer business
- Distribution to capital providers increases to 11 per cent
- Successful start to S-Group business in North Rhine-Westphalia
With group earnings before taxes of
EUR 512 million
, Helaba once again surpassed its previous best-ever result of the year before (
EUR 492 million
, CEO of Helaba: "This means that we have been on a stable and increasing earnings trajectory for years." Operating business, which is reflected in particular in net interest and net commission income, was stable and on an upward trend. Net trading income increased significantly compared to the previous year.
Brenner is very satisfied with this result in a number of respects:
- For Helaba, the 2012 financial year was an extremely significant one from a strategic perspective and, from an operational standpoint, a very successful one. With a growth in pre-tax earnings of around 5 per cent, the bank has reached new heights.
- On top of servicing all subordinated funds, profit-sharing rights and the silent participation, the good annual result allows us to increase the distribution to capital providers from 8 to almost 11 per cent. This also represents a new record high in the history of our company. On a group-wide basis, last year's result will strengthen core capital by EUR 230 million.
- Helaba has a solid capitalisation structure. Thanks to a cash contribution by the four new owners in an amount of EUR 1 billion, EUR 112 million was added to equity and EUR 888 million to capital reserves in the middle of 2012. Upon approval of the annual financial statements, the Tier-1capital ratio at the end of 2012 was 11.6 per cent and the total capital ratio was 16.3 per cent. On this basis, Helaba also fulfils the new equity requirements according to Basel III and CRD IV.