Rates Of Workplace Violence Higher For Government Employees
Among other findings from 2002 to 2011:
- Although government employees accounted for 16 percent of all employed people age 16 or older, they made up 41 percent of victims of nonfatal workplace violence.
- Among government employees, males (68 percent) were more likely than females (38 percent) to face a stranger during an incident in the workplace.
- Government employees (12 percent) were less likely than private-sector employees (20 percent) to face an offender with a weapon during an incident.
- Government and private-sector employees were equally likely to be injured due to workplace violence.
Findings in this report on nonfatal violence against government employees in the workplace are based on data from the BJS National Crime Victimization Survey. Findings on workplace homicide are based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries.
The report, Workplace Violence Against Government Employees, 1994–2011 (NCJ 241349), was written by BJS statistician Erika Harrell. The report, related documents and additional information about the Bureau of Justice Statistics' statistical publications and programs can be found on the BJS website at http://www.bjs.gov/.
The Office of Justice Programs (OJP), headed by Acting Assistant Attorney General Mary Lou Leary, provides federal leadership in developing the nation's capacity to prevent and control crime, administer justice, and assist victims. OJP has six components: the Bureau of Justice Assistance; the Bureau of Justice Statistics; the National Institute of Justice; the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention; the Office for Victims of Crime; and the Office of Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering, and Tracking. More information about OJP can be found at http://www.ojp.gov.SOURCE Bureau of Justice Statistics
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV