Meanwhile. automotive data firm R.L. Polk & Co. has clarified the findings that led to Ford's claim that Focus is the world's best-selling vehicle, a contention that Toyota has disputed. Toyota said it's the Corolla, because it counts not only the sedan, which accounts for 90% of worldwide sales, but also five other Corolla models including wagons and liftbacks.
The controversy followed Ford's press release on Wednesday which declared, citing data from Polk, that Focus was the world's No. 1 nameplate in 2012 with sales of 1,020,410 units. But Toyota said Corolla sold 1.16 million units.
"The Polk data reported by Ford earlier this week is accurate based on the single nameplate 'Ford Focus,'" said Anthony Pratt, vice president of forecasting, Americas at Polk, in a prepared statement. "The data does not include any rebadged vehicles or platform derivatives for Ford Focus or any other vehicle nameplate versions."
Polk said its data is based on new vehicle registrations compiled from more than 80 countries around the world, representing 97% of global new vehicle volumes. Polk said it "does not report on or track global sales data so does not comment on OEM sales claims."Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV