If you're hoping to reduce your taxes owed next year, Caskey offers the following tips:
- Take a year-round approach to tax savings: Reviewing your asset allocation with your advisor throughout the year may help ensure your investments are allocated to maximize tax efficiency. Consider contributing to your RSP regularly throughout the year, instead of making a lump-sum contribution, to take advantage of compound interest.
- Invest efficiently outside RSPs/TFSAs: With your advisor, determine an appropriate asset mix and consider investment solutions based on their tax efficiency. For example, Return of Capital distributions may be received tax-free, but they reduce the adjusted cost base of the investment. Also keep in mind that capital gains are taxed at half the rate of interest income.
- Plan not to get a tax refund in the first place: If you are getting a large tax refund, that means you are overpaying! Consider making regular contributions to your RSP or speak with your advisor about strategies to ensure you're being tax efficient.
"It's important to make tax-smart investment decisions appropriate to your circumstances. There are several steps you can take to help get a refund at tax time," adds Caskey. "You should carefully examine your 2012 tax return, income and investments, and start planning now for improvements in the future. A little planning can go a long way, not just for next year, but for years to come."
About TD Wealth Private Investment Advice
TD Wealth Private Investment Advice is a division of TD Waterhouse Canada Inc., a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. TD Waterhouse Canada Inc. - Member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund.About TD Bank Group The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its subsidiaries are collectively known as TD Bank Group (TD). TD is the sixth largest bank in North America by branches and serves approximately 22 million customers in four key businesses operating in a number of locations in key financial centres around the globe: Canadian Personal and Commercial Banking, including TD Canada Trust and TD Auto Finance Canada; Wealth and Insurance, an investment in TD Ameritrade, and TD Insurance; U.S. Personal and Commercial Banking, including TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, and TD Auto Finance U.S.; and Wholesale Banking, including TD Securities. TD also ranks among the world's leading online financial services firms, with more than 9 million online customers. TD had CDN$818 billion in assets on January 31, 2013. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades under the symbol "TD" on the Toronto and New York Stock Exchanges. SOURCE TD Bank Group
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV