MINNEAPOLIS, April 11, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Northern Technologies International Corporation (Nasdaq:NTIC) today reported its financial results for second quarter of fiscal 2013. Highlights of NTIC's financial and operating results include:
- NTIC's consolidated net sales increased 5.5% and 7.5% during the three and six months ended February 28, 2013, respectively, compared to the three and six months ended February 29, 2012. These increases were primarily a result of increased demand and sales of Natur-Tec® products and ZERUST® rust and corrosion inhibiting packaging products and services.
- Net sales of Natur-Tec® products increased 32.8% and 31.8% during the three and six months ended February 28, 2013 compared to the three and six months ended February 29, 2012. These increases were due to increased sales to Natur-Tec® distributors in the United States.
- Net income attributable to NTIC decreased 28.3%, to $434,410, or $0.10 per diluted common share, for the three months ended February 28, 2013 compared to $606,193, or $0.14 per diluted common share, for the three months ended February 29, 2012. Net income attributable to NTIC decreased 47.3%, to $824,032, or $0.18 per diluted common share, for the six months ended February 28, 2013 compared to $1,564,950, or $0.35 per diluted common share, for the six months ended February 29, 2012. These decreases were primarily the result of increases in operating expenses and income tax expense.
"In the second quarter of fiscal 2013, NTIC continued to enjoy top-line sales growth, as we expanded our supply to several large new customers in both our ZERUST® Industrial as well as our Natur-Tec® businesses. In direct correlation to this sales growth, however, we continued to incur start-up costs as we fully ramped up production on a broad range of new products. This, along with higher income tax expenses, adversely impacted our earnings. We believe, however, that we should start to see the bottom-line benefit of these new business opportunities on next quarter's bottom line," said G. Patrick Lynch, President and Chief Executive Officer of NTIC. "Overall revenues from our international joint venture operations continued to remain stagnant," continued Lynch, "with the Euro zone's economic slowdown and political instability threatening Asia."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV