NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Friday, April 12:
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. Friday includes the Producer Price Index for March at 8.30 a.m. EDT, retail sales for March, also at 8:30 a.m., and the University of Michigan Sentiment Index at 9:55 a.m.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Thursday rose as new claims for jobless benefits fell for the first time in four weeks and investors continued to bet on equities emboldened by expectations that central banks worldwide will maintain policies to bolster their economies. The S&P 500 gained 0.36% to close at 1,593.37 after the index shattered its intraday record of 1,576.09 set in October 2007. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.42% to finish at 14,865.14 after touching a record intraday high of 14,887.51 late morning. The Nasdaq gained 0.09% to 3,300.16.
4. -- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) said Friday that first-quarter profit rose 33% year over year on the back of higher revenue and improving credit quality in its consumer banking business. The New York banking giant reported record net income for the first quarter of $6.5 billion, or $1.59 a share, compared with earnings of $4.92 billion, or $1.19 a share, in the first quarter of 2012. Revenue for the first quarter was $25.85 billion, down 3% year over year, but up 6% from the fourth quarter. Analysts expected earnings of $1.39 per share on revenue of $25.86 billion.
5. -- Wells Fargo (WFC), which is No. 4 in assets, is expected by analysts on Friday to report first-quarter profit of 88 cents a share. The bank earned 75 cents a share in the year-earlier quarter. Profits have risen the last three quarters at Wells Fargo, including a gain of 24% in the fourth quarter.
6. -- J.C. Penney (JCP) has hired bankers at Blackstone Group (BX) for advice on how the struggling department-store chain can raise $1 billion in cash, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. One option could be to sell a minority stake in Penney , and the company has reached out to and heard from possible investors including private-equity firms, the people told the newspaper.
7. -- LinkedIn (LNKD) agreed to pay about $90 million to acquire Pulse, which makes an e-reader platform used on mobile devices. The deal is expected to close in the second quarter.
8. -- Eli Lilly (LLY) said it will cut hundreds of U.S. sales jobs as it prepares to deal with the loss of patent protection for top-selling drugs Cymbalta and Evista. A spokesman said the job cuts will total less than 1,000 full-time employees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV