By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Citigroup (C) doesn't need to hit new highs for traders to make big money.
Option activity was rocking in the financial giant Wednesday, with more than 64,000 calls outnumbering fewer than 31,500 puts. One big trade stood out in particular on OptionMonster's tracking systems, as 2,004 April 43 calls were sold for $2.30 and twice as many May 46s were bought for $1.09 and $1.10, indicating that an investor is rolling a long position to a higher strike price one month later.
Calls lock in the price where traders can buy shares, so these contracts will can generate significant leverage if Citi rallies in the next month. Rolling the contracts up in price and out in time indicates that the trader is confident that more gains are on the way.Citigroup shares rose 2.54% to $45 Wednesday. The stock is still almost $3 from its peak of $47.92, even as other financials run to new highs with major equity indexes in record territory. Najarian has no positions in C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV