Travel To Work Report 2013
MANCHESTER, April 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
A recent analysis of Census data by the popular cycling website, Bikes.org.uk has highlighted some dramatic changes in how we travel to work.
The number of people who travel to work in England and Wales has surpassed 25 million for the first time. This is a staggering 12,000 million commutes per year¹.
The total population of England and Wales increased by +7% in the past decade but the rate of growth in the number of commuters is more than double this at +17%.This has resulted in the highest ever proportion of the population commuting. According to Census 2011 data, 44.7% of the population travel to work against 41.0% in 2001, an increase of 3.6m people. So not only are there more of us, there are also more of us commuting to work and at a higher proportion of the total population. This is perhaps a reflection on the current economic climate. In Part I of the full report, we look at how each Region is affected in England and Wales.
- London: There are +25% more commuters in London than 10 years ago.
- South East: There are 4 million commuters, half a million more than 10 years ago.
- North West: Above 3 million commuters for the first time.
- Yorkshire & East Midlands: Each above 2 million commuters for the first time.
- 9 of the Top 10 growth districts² over the past ten years are in the London Region.
- The number of Car Drivers has surpassed 15 million for the first time.
- This equates to 7,325 million car journeys to/from work each year.
- Public Transport commuters have increased by +27% since 2001.
- Most popular method to travel to work, after cars, is On Foot which increased by +20%.
- Car Passenger numbers continue to decline and are now almost half the ratio³ of 1981.
- London: Car Driver numbers increased by just +1% (England Average: +16%). Is the London Congestion Charge having an impact?
- London: Cycling commuters more than doubled (+109%). Is this the result of the London Bike Scheme?
- London: The ratio using Public Transport is more than half of all commuters for the first time (52.6%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV