John commented on several high-profile brands including BlackBerry (BBRY), which he recommended shorting in 2010. He said BlackBerry missed the mark when it started listening to retailers over customers, a move which cost the company dearly.
When asked about Apple (AAPL), another Action Alerts PLUS holding, John said shares were priced for perfection and even Apple isn't perfect. The brand is still cool, however, and John expects the company to recover. Samsung has been smart because that brand has been hustling its way to the top slowly, he added.
When asked about his top picks for the next few years, John gave the nod to Walgreen (WAG), Urban Outfitters (URBN), Nike (NKE), Yahoo! (YHOO), Visa (V), MasterCard (MA) and Facebook (FB). All of these brands have what it takes to prosper and grow, he noted.
No Huddle Offense
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV