Does that suggest that Adtran is gaining market share among the telecoms? Perhaps. That said, investors won't know for certain until more earnings reports are released from Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) and Ciena (CIEN).
In the meantime, it is certainly encouraging that Adtran was able to offset the recent slowdown while bigger names including Juniper (JNPR) and F5 are still trying to find their footing.
I would be surprised if Adtran remains an independent company for the rest of the year. The company's solid broadband access and internet working segments, which should drive long-term growth, should attract some attention.
With the stock's new popularity, I do wonder if Adtran will pause, look back and give investors a second chance to hop on board. Absent clear signs that carriers have fully opened their wallets, that's not an easy question to answer. It does, however, affirm that after losing 34% of its value last year, the worst is over for Adtran. It's also encouraging the company announced that its board declared a cash dividend for the first quarter of 2013. With such examples of confidence, it's hard not to expect more gain are on the way. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV