CCRKBA Calls For Universal Background Checks On All Elected Officials
BELLEVUE, Wash., April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- "If politicians want universal background checks, we should start with them," said Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
He pointed to recent political scandals in the New York Legislature, which just passed a new restrictive gun control law, where a state senator and state assemblyman were arrested last week, as "one small example."
"But look at politics in recent years," Gottlieb observed. "From state and federal scandals, to arrests involving several members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, we have had example after embarrassing example of public officials being charged with violating various laws. Does anyone think former Congressman Anthony Weiner, who had to quit his post over a lewd e-mail scandal, should clear a mental health screening to buy a gun?
"If you compare percentages," he continued, "the rate of criminal activity by politicians is probably far higher than the rate of crimes committed by the general public."What this underscores," he said, "is the reason gun laws don't work and never will. People who make the laws we have to live under break them anyway, just like criminals routinely disobey gun laws. Based on their own experience, politicians should know that the gun laws they pass will not prevent crime." Gottlieb pointed to crooks like former Louisiana Congressman Bill Jefferson, sent to prison after authorities found $90,000 in his freezer during an investigation. He cited former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, now in prison for racketeering and extortion. "It is both sad and disgraceful that the list goes on and on," Gottlieb said. "There are politicians with domestic violence problems, others who accepted bribes, some who stole money or were involved in other criminal acts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV