The marketplace should remain secular. Many of the arguments against same-sex marriage are grounded, overtly or covertly, in fairly conservative religious ideology. There's nothing wrong with marketing to consumers based on their religious preferences.
Bloomberg Businessweek reported in 2010 that corporate giants like Wal-Mart (WMT), McDonald's (MCD) and Whole Foods (WFM) are beginning to market products specifically to Muslim consumers, and several large companies, including Forever 21, Interstate Battery, Tyson Foods (TSN), Hobby Lobby, In-N-Out Burger and Chick-fil-A have sought to attract customers by openly espousing conservative Christian views.
But if the fundamentals of supply and demand are to remain the bedrock of our economy, it ought to be possible for consumers of any faith or none to be able to buy the goods and services that they require without running the risk of discrimination.
We'll know in a few months whether DoMA will stay or go. Societal norms are shifting fast enough, however, that DoMA is likely to be repealed in the future even if the Supreme Court doesn't strike it down now. Smart business executives will be thinking ahead, and planning for how best to serve the needs of same-sex married couples regardless of what the court decides.This commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet guest contributor program. The views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of TheStreet or its management.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV