Official Statement Regarding Manchin-Toomey Agreement From Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense In America
INDIANAPOLIS, April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The bipartisan agreement on background checks announced today by Sens. Pat Toomey and Joe Manchin III represents a significant step forward for Congress in demonstrating their commitment to making American children and families safer.
The new legislation proposed by the Senators does not solve all the problems of the current system. However, it is a vast improvement from the piecemeal policies that exist now, which allowed nearly 7 million gun sales last year to be completed without a criminal background check, accounting for almost 40 percent of all gun sales in America.
We are confident the Senate will take action tomorrow to move the debate to the floor for a full vote, and we will now mobilize our mom members to put pressure on Congress to pass this legislation and to prove to their constituents that they value the safety of our country's children above all else.
Today's announcement of the background checks agreement is only the first step in an uphill battle for common-sense gun laws in America, but mothers remain undaunted – we will go to any length to protect our children. Eight children are killed every day by guns in the United States; the 80 million moms in our country will not stand for inaction by Congress on sensible gun laws.For too long, America has made access to guns more important than the rights of our children to live safe and full lives. As a result, gun violence has become an American crisis, threatening every community: rural, urban and suburban. We can't afford to wait for every American family to be affected by gun violence before we act. Website: www.momsdemandaction.org Twitter: @momsdemand SOURCE Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV