News Summary: IMF Chief Frets Pace Of Recovery
By The Associated Press
PAINFUL COMEBACK: The head of the International Monetary Fund believes the greatest threat to a lasting economic recovery in Europe is "the fatigue of both governments and populations" over painful steps taken to boost growth and combat national debt.
TIGHTENTED BELTS: Most governments in Europe have been on a quest to reduce public debt for the past three years. Spending cuts and tax hikes, however, have hurt economic growth. Countries that have had to take the most aggressive austerity measures have been in protracted recession. Living standards have plunged and unemployment is at record highs.
NEW WORLD ORDER: IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde said the economy seems better in the United States, where President Barack Obama sent Congress a $3.8 trillion spending blueprint Wednesday. The U.S. has not pursued the same austerity measures, though Republicans are pushing hard for even tougher spending cuts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV