NEW ORLEANS, April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program serves a vital, life-saving role by helping needy customers afford to keep their homes warm in the winter and cool in the summer. But funding of the federal program has dropped by more than a third from its 2009 level of $5.1 billion to $3.3 billion today. Low-income advocates from Entergy Corporation (NYSE: ETR) are urging congressional leaders to better protect vulnerable families struggling to meet basic needs, including heating and cooling costs.
In 2012 within the four states Entergy serves, an estimated 385,000 families received assistance from LIHEAP. More than 3.5 million households qualify for the program.
During LIHEAP Action Day April 10, Entergy representatives and community partners will be working hard to get LIHEAP funding --and the families who need this program-- turned around. Personal meetings with congressional delegates, grassroots email campaigns and active partnerships with the National Fuel Fund Network, other organizations and utilities are all part of this effort.The goal is to restore LIHEAP funding to at least $4.7 billion for 2014. The increase would result in as much as $479 million in assistance for families in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. "We recognize that Congress is facing some tough fiscal decisions," said Patty Riddlebarger, director of corporate social responsibility for Entergy. "However, this program and the low income population it serves have already borne significant cuts. "At a time when poverty has increased, median household incomes and savings have decreased, and thousands of new record temperatures are being set in both summer and winter," she said, "better funding of LIHEAP is crucial."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV