The bank said in a research note that despite uncertainties over events in Cyprus, gold prices have remained unchanged during the period. It also noted that Goldman economists believe the U.S. economy will post a faster recovery in the second half of 2013.
"Given gold's recent lackluster price action and our economists' expectation that the acceleration in US growth later this year to above-trend pace will support U.S. real rates, we are lowering our [U.S. dollar]-denominated gold price forecast once again," the note said.
Goldman lowered its average 2013 gold price forecast to $1,545 an ounce from $1,610 an ounce, and reduced its 2014 average target to $1,350 an ounce from $1,490 an ounce.The bank forecast a year-end target for gold of $1,450 an ounce, and a target of $1,270 an ounce for the end of 2014. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV