DENVER, April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Xcel Energy announced earlier this week that it will pursue additional legal measures if Boulder, Colorado attempts to provide electric service to customers outside existing city limits. Xcel Energy formally notified Tom Carr, the City Attorney by letter that Boulder does not have the legal right to serve Xcel Energy customers outside the city limits. Xcel has also made it clear previously that it does not favor annexation and will work to continue to serve its customers within the city.
This legal notice came in response to Boulder city leaders who have announced that they are studying a take-over of the Xcel Energy electric system. In February, the city revealed a plan to acquire 5,700 customers that live outside the city limits to "minimize" the cost of separation.
" Boulder needs to understand that we will not give up our legal rights to serve our customers outside the city who have had no say in the original municipalization study vote. In the last year Boulder has discussed annexation as the means to reduce these costs and that process cannot be circumvented by attempting to serve our customers outside of the city limits," said David Eves, President and CEO Public Service Company of Colorado (an Xcel Energy Company). "We continue to believe it will be in everyone's best interest to work together to help Boulder achieve its energy goals while remaining a customer of our company. But if we can't find a way to make that happen, we will take all actions necessary to protect our rights to serve them."Xcel Energy (NYSE: XEL) is a public utility holding company headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The company serves 3.4 million electric customers and 1.8 million gas customers in eight states in the Midwest and Southwest, including Minnesota, Colorado and Texas. Contact: Jennifer Wozniak, 1-303-294-2232, firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV