Construction Of Southwestern Wyo. Coal Mine Halted
CASPER, Wyo. (AP) â¿¿ A Nebraska company has suspended construction of a coal mine in southwestern Wyoming, blaming poor demand for coal.
The Casper Star-Tribune (http://bit.ly/17qMvNq ) reported Wednesday that 12 people will lose their jobs at the Haystack Coal Co. northeast of Evanston but that officials are working to find them jobs at projects being done by its parent company, Omaha, Neb.-based Kiewit Corp.
"The decision is not a reflection on the outstanding work of our employees; it was driven by the challenging coal market conditions that have affected virtually the entire industry," company spokesman Tom Janssen said in a statement. "Regrettably, this decision will affect all current employees."
The mine had been expected to employ 100 people.Pending restrictions on coal-fired power plants, a mild winter and low natural gas prices have reduced demand for coal. Wyoming, the nation's top coal producer, mined 8 percent less coal last year. About 3 percent of coal workers lost their jobs in 2012, according to federal data. Preliminary 2013 estimates by the U.S. Department of Energy's information and statistics arm show that coal production has dropped to 11.5 percent from production during the first three months of 2012. ___ Information from: Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune, http://www.trib.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV