- Both patents cover the significant co-morbidity associated with low T and Type 2 diabetes
- US patents 8,372,887 and 8,377,991 will expire in 2028 and 2031, respectively
THE WOODLANDS, Texas, April 10, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Repros Therapeutics Inc. ® (Nasdaq:RPRX) announced two patents representing potentially large commercial indications for its drug Androxal have been issued. The two patents deal with the metabolic consequences of low testosterone and the positive outcomes associated with restoration of testicular function exhibited by Androxal. The 8,377,991 patent specifically covers treatment of Type 2 diabetes, an area of high unmet medical need. The 991 issuance and patent life should have a positive impact on Androxal's long-term commercial potential.
The 991 patent is based on Repros' original findings from the Phase 2 study ZA-202. In study ZA-202, Repros investigated the potential of Androxal to improve glycemic control in Type 2 diabetic men currently being treated with oral hypoglycemic agents for their condition. That trial showed statistically significant improvement in HbA1c and insulin, as well as HOMA-IR compared to placebo in men < 55 years of age in the 3 month study. While the Company has an active IND open with the Division of Endocrine and Metabolic Products at the FDA, Repros has been focusing its efforts on the urological application of Androxal as well as the Proellex woman's health program for uterine fibroids and endometriosis.
Joseph S. Podolski, President and CEO of Repros commented, "The co-morbidity of Type 2 diabetes, low T and obesity is undeniable. The fact that several hormone replacement therapies have failed to show an impact on glycemic control, underscores the potential of Androxal. This restoration of organ function is a unique feature of Androxal compared to the approved hormone replacement therapies." He further noted, "Today the Endocrine Society recommends that physicians assess testosterone levels in men suspected to be Type 2 diabetic or pre-diabetic. Androxal offers a rational approach to treat the hypogonadal diabetic male. Endocrinologists represent a special population of readily reached physicians that may be the first adopters of Androxal in the treatment of hypogonadism."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV