NEW YORK (TheStreet) - T-Mobile wants you to buy an Apple (AAPL) iPhone from them. The phone has been so good for T-Mobile's competitors -- AT&T (T), Sprint (S) or Verizon (VZ) -- that the German telecom wants to get in the action too. And, if their new pricing schemes aren't enticing enough, T-Mobile has announced a trade-in deal to motivate potential buyers who are on the fence.
The company is eagerly trying to complete its merger with MetroPCS (PCS), a deal that could move closer to completion with the company's shareholders meet Friday to vote on the proposed transaction. MetroPCS shares jumped 3.3% to $11.56 by Wednesday afternoon.
T-Mobile's Apple iPhones go on sale online and in their retail stores on Friday. It shouldn't come as a surprise that T-Mobile is the last of the major U.S. mobile-phone operators to get into the iPhone game. There are many reasons why they've never had them before (more on that later), but now that T-Mobile is rolling out its own 4G/LTE network, they've finally been able to make a deal with Apple.
As for T-Mobile's offering: T-Mobile is offering a special offer between now and Father's Day (June 16th). Bring your "old" iPhone 4 or 4S from any other carrier and trade-it in for their best deal on an iPhone 5 - $0 down (instead of the usual $99) plus a rebate of up to $120 to spend on T-Mobile goods and services. As you can see, T-mobile is trying to do all it can to attract iPhone users.The iPhone 5 will be one of the first phones able to take advantage of T-Mobile's LTE network (along with the Blackberry (BBRY) Z10, Samsung Galaxy S IV and Galaxy Note II and a handful of others). Will the plan be a success? If they wind-up selling more phones then before, of course, that a good thing. If they get people to switch to T-Mobile that's also good.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV