PennDOT Urges Motorists To Avoid Distractions, Focus On Driving
HARRISBURG, Pa., April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As part of National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, PennDOT today urged motorists to drive distraction free, and reminded drivers of the state's law banning text-based communication while driving.
"Driving is a serious job that requires your full attention, all of the time," PennDOT Secretary Barry J. Schoch said. "Distractions come in all forms, and we all need to take personal responsibility for our actions behind the wheel – that includes avoiding distractions."
Distracted driving can include such actions as:
- talking on a cell phone or texting;
- adjusting devices such as radios and GPSs;
- attending to children or pets, and
- interacting with other passengers in the vehicle.
While all drivers should avoid distractions; for young, novice drivers, distracted driving can compound the inexperience factor and increase the risk of crash.Last March, a state law went into effect banning text-based communication while driving. Violating the law is a primary offense carrying a $50 fine. According to PennDOT data, more than 14,600 crashes involved a distracted driver in Pennsylvania in 2012, with 57 deaths in those crashes. Over the past five years, nearly 11 percent of Pennsylvania crashes involved a driver distraction, resulting in more than 300 fatalities statewide. To help avoid distractions while driving, PennDOT recommends that drivers follow these simple safety tips:
- Store or turn off cell phones while driving. If you must make an emergency call, safely pull over to the side of the road.
- If traveling alone, set your GPS, radio and temperature controls before hitting the road.
- If traveling with pets, be sure that they are properly restrained. Better yet, leave them at home. Even a minor crash can result in a major injury to a pet if it is not properly restrained.
- Never operate your vehicle and attend to a child at the same time.
- If you drop an object while driving, leave it until you reach your destination.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV