NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) and Broadcom (BRCM) may be working closer together in the very near future, as the Cupertino-based technology giant is set to update new Mac computers with super-fast wireless technology.
Apple blog 9to5Mac has found source code that Apple will include 802.11ac wireless in its latest OS X Mountain Lion operating system. This is a much faster version of wireless technology than previous versions, and allows for extended ranges and faster speeds.
The source code doesn't indicate whether the new Macs would be MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs. Apple did a major refresh of its MacBook Pro lineup last year, including Retina Display on both its 13-inch and 15-inch models. The MacBook Air does not currently come with Retina Display technology, but many expect that Apple will ultimately include this in a refresh.
In an interview with TheStreet earlier this year, Broadcom, which is responsible for making the chipsets, talked about the possibilities of the 5G wireless technology."It dramatically speeds up Wi-Fi," Broadcom CEO Scott McGregor said in the interview. He noted that not only does it increase the range of the WiFi, but it's sharply faster, allowing file uploads and content transfers to take place speedier and smoother. I asked him about a potential relationship with Apple during the interview, and he noted that he could not talk about specific partners. But he did say the technology would be coming to specific laptops, as well as high-end television sets. Apple shares were higher in Wednesday trading, up 0.24% to $428.00, while Broadcom shares were gaining 1.42% to $34.22. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV