Commercial Grower Offers Tips For Fresh Produce: Test Soil And Use Epsom Salt
CONCORD, N.C., April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On a sixth-generation farm that the Barbee family has owned for more than a century, Brent Barbee has discovered a new way to increase his harvest and make his fruit taste sweeter. He's using Epsom salt.
Barbee said he used to fertilize every time he watered, but fertilizer causes salt buildup in soil. Now he uses Epsom salt through drip irrigation to help separate fertilizer bound to the soil and make it available to the plants. It reduces the total amounts of fertilizers he needs, and makes the fertilizers he uses more effective.
"The Epsom salt makes the nutrients more available," he said.
Barbee spent the first day of spring mixing Epsom salt with water at a ratio of 10 pounds per acre. For residential gardeners, that's the equivalent of an eighth of a pound – or about a quarter-cup of Epsom salt – per 500 square feet. It's a step that's even more important with sandier soil.Barbee uses the same solution on several of his other crops, including lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. Once his cantaloupe and watermelon grow to the size of a baseball, he also uses the mixture as a weekly foliar spray, helping them taste sweeter. "It was an old myth, but we tried it, and it works," Barbee said. "You do a blind taste test, and you can tell the difference." Barbee grows more than 40 crops, from apples to zucchini. His harvests are so successful that last year, he had an additional 50,000 pounds of produce to share with the Society of St. Andrew. The group's national volunteer-driven gleaning network has helped people in need receive more than 143 million pounds of produce that would have otherwise gone to waste. "You don't farm for the money," Barbee said. "It's something in your heart."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV