US Futures Head Higher, Again
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ U.S. stock futures rose Wednesday with President Barack Obama's $3.77 trillion spending plan arriving in Congress. Fierce negotiations over spending cuts and higher taxes are expected.
Dow Jones industrial futures rose 42 points to 14,652. The broader S&P futures tacked on 4.4 points to 1,567.60. Nasdaq futures are up 9.5 points to 2,807.
Minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve monetary policy meeting in March are also due. A dismal jobs report Friday doused expectations that the aggressive monetary policies being used to push the recovery forward would be pared back.
The Fed has vowed to continue its massive bond purchases to keep money flowing in the markets and to keep interest rates low, at least until unemployment falls to 6.5 percent.The Labor Department said Friday that unemployment fell to a four-year low of 7.6 percent in March, but that was only because many people gave up on looking for a job. Early reports for the new earnings season continued to roll out Wednesday. There will likely be some pressure on the stocks in the dollar store sector after Family Dollar fell short of Wall Street earnings expectations for the second quarter and cut its outlook for the year. Many analysts expect a subdued quarter for retailers because of a slow start to spring this year, as well as ongoing financial hardships for many consumers. Bed Bath & Beyond reports earnings after the closing bell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV