REIT returns to remain attractive, fuelled by low rates and solid fundamentals
TORONTO, April 10, 2013 /CNW/ - Canada's commercial real estate sector and REIT investment market appear set to outperform for a fifth-straight year, according to CIBC World Markets Inc.
"All of the fundamentals seem to be supporting [the] continuation of [an] extended recovery" from the market lows of 2008, says Allan Kimberley, Vice-Chairman, Real Estate Investment Banking at CIBC.
In a series of notes released today at the bank's 18 th annual real estate conference in Toronto, CIBC says low interest rates, the continued availability of equity and debt, and healthy supply-demand fundamentals have set up Canada's real estate capital markets for another strong year. These conditions are relatively unchanged from 2012 which saw "record levels of new issuance, total returns exceeding those of the broader S&P/TSX Composite index, a growing list of IPO and M&A activity, against a backdrop of declining volatility," says Mr. Kimberley.Alex Avery, a CIBC Equity Analyst who covers the commercial real estate sector, also sees favourable property and REIT market conditions continuing in 2013, with one caveat. "While current real estate and REIT investment market conditions remain highly attractive in many respects, property and REIT pricing have risen largely to reflect the favourable current environment. We expect attractive returns from Canadian REITs in 2013, but more modest than seen in recent years." Mr. Avery says returns from REITs in 2013 will be driven by attractive distribution yields and modest further appreciation in unit prices. Over the next 12-18 months he's forecasting returns to "average 5-10 per cent, comprising close to 6 per cent in average yield and 0-5 per cent in capital appreciation." REITs most likely to outperform will be ones that deliver the highest funds from operations (FFO) growth, he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV