Ford hybrids attracting new buyers to the brand
One quarter of electrified vehicles sold in the United States in 2012 were purchased in California – more than any other state – and increasingly these customers are opting for a Ford-brand vehicle. Since the new 2013 Fusion Hybrid went on sale last fall, 73 percent of the car's customers in the Los Angeles area are new to the Ford brand. In the San Francisco area, 77 percent of Fusion Hybrid customers are coming from another brand.
Four months ago Los Angeles-based Eddie Sasaki replaced his Jeep Wrangler with a Fusion Hybrid after checking out the Chevrolet Volt and Kia Optima Hybrid. "I love the look of the Fusion," says Sasaki. "Fusion's overall appearance and value are what sold me." So far Sasaki is averaging about 42 mpg on his 40-mile daily commute.
Toyota remains the top conquest brand for both Fusion Hybrid and C-MAX hybrids. Initial sales data show C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi are also bringing new customers to Ford, with conquest rates remaining above 60 percent since the vehicles hit the market in 2012.Even among consumers who are still car shopping, Ford hybrids have gained ground on the longtime market leader. According to data from consumer research site Edmunds.com, Ford's all-new Fusion Hybrid is already taking the lead over Toyota Camry Hybrid in purchase consideration. Meanwhile C-MAX hybrids – Ford's newest nameplate and first dedicated hybrid lineup – are showing consideration equal to Toyota Prius and purchase intent near equal to Prius, all while offering lower incentives than Toyota for both Camry Hybrid and Prius. The Prius and Honda CR-V remain the top two competitive trade-ins for C-MAX Hybrid.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV