China's March Imports Rise In Sign Of Recovery
BEIJING (AP) â¿¿ China's March imports rose 14.1 percent in a positive sign for its gradual economic recovery.
The import figure reported Wednesday was a marked acceleration over the 5 percent reported for the combined January-February period, suggesting Chinese manufacturers and consumers are buying more. But in a sign that global demand remains relatively subdued, exports rose 10 percent.
The export figure was down sharply from the 23.6 percent for the two-month period. That could add to challenges for Beijing as it tries to sustain the rebound from China's deepest downturn since the 2008 global crisis and avoid job losses in export industries that employ millions of workers.
Exports rose to $182.2 billion while imports were $183.1 billion, according to the General Administration of Customs. The country's politically sensitive global trade surplus narrowed to $900 million.Economic growth rose to 7.9 percent in the three months ending in December, up from the previous quarter's 7.4 percent. Analysts say the recovery is being propped up by government spending and bank lending, while consumer spending is growing slowly. Analysts have warned China's recovery could be vulnerable if exports or government-driven investment weaken.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV