Costliest U.S. locale: Manhattan
Cost of living: 125.4% above U.S. average
New York City's most-desirable borough is so popular that the cost of living there is more than twice the U.S. average.
Manhattan costs so much primarily because its housing is by far America's most expensive -- 354.5% above U.S. average. Zillow calculates that a median residence there costs $1.03 million, up 3.8% in a year.Manhattanites also face 49.7% above-average prices for groceries -- second only to what Honolulu residents pay. Additionally, people who live in Manhattan have big bills for health care (29.6% above average), utilities (28.9% higher than typical) and transportation (23.6% beyond what the average U.S. household pays). "Everyone and his brother who likes urban environments wants to live in Manhattan," Frutiger says. "They love to live there no matter what it costs." If you're one of Manhattan's fans, Zillow lists about 8,700 properties for sale there.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV