Fourth-costliest U.S. locale: San Francisco
Cost of living: 63.4% above U.S. average
San Francisco has always placed near the top in CCER's annual rankings, thanks primarily to housing costs that are higher than your average Haight-Ashbury hippie.
Researchers found that residents in the City by the Bay pay 195% above the U.S. average for housing, while Zillow calculates that the typical San Francisco home costs $762,200. That's up 16.3% over the past 12 months. (You can find some 1,600 Bay Area properties for sale at Zillow.com.)CCER also says San Francisco groceries cost 21.4% above the U.S. average, while health care runs 14.7% more than typical. Transportation is also 10.3% higher than normal -- but surprisingly, utilities cost 4.5% below the national average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV