Fifth-costliest U.S. locale: San Jose, Calif.
Cost of living: 53.4% above U.S. average
Do you know the way to San Jose? It probably involves a stop at your bank for money.
Silicon Valley's unofficial capital has placed fifth or sixth among America's most-expensive cities every year since CCER began releasing its annual list in 2008.That's mostly because San Jose housing costs 163.9% above the U.S. average. Zillow estimates the median San Jose home is worth $567,700, up 18.9% in just the past year. CCER also found that San Jose utilities run 26.6% above average, while groceries cost 21.4% more than most U.S. households pay. Similarly, health care runs 18.2% ahead of average, while transportation is 11.4% more than usual. If that's not enough to turn you off from moving there, Zillow has some 3,400 San Jose-area properties listed for sale.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV