I started my career in social services. I was an in-home family counselor in Chicago working with kids who had been taken out of their homes. I had worked in some really tough neighborhoods and navigated that terrain. I had also been a crisis counselor for a sexual assault community group here in Chicago, a rape victim advocate. I honestly think I got a lot of my crisis-management skills [from these experiences], which really came in handy when I had to jump in and lead Lifeway overnight.
One thing that I really relate to -- and I think that my dad even saw was that he had a hard time relating to his path of the consumer market -- was young mothers and women. He was a Russian man with a thick Russian accent, so when they heard the message from him, it was a little different. When they hear it from a young woman who's kind of faced with the same challenges that they are -- balancing family life and career in many cases or just trying to put healthy foods on the table -- I will not put anything out into the marketplace that I wouldn't give my own children. I think that's kind of the dominating force with how we think about innovation and looking at new products that we're going to develop.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV