Pennsylvania's So-Called Constitutional Crisis; A Response To Mr. Morganelli
It seems that Mr. Morganelli may, indeed, favor removing the mandatory retirement provision but thinks it should happen through a constitutional amendment and not by court action. As a district attorney, former candidate for attorney general and maybe a candidate for political office again, Mr. Morganelli's views are worthy of respect and certainly those of us who are counsel for the judges will be very supportive of any constitutional amendment in this regard. However, our clients are not willing to wait for the uncertain political prospects of a constitutional amendment and the two to four-year wait that would ensue. They will all be retired before any such amendment, even if one were to take place, becomes law.
As Dauphin County Judge Lawrence F. Clark, Jr. – who is not a plaintiff in either action – said recently, "There are serious bedrock fundamental issues" as to whether not only federal law, but the Declaration of Rights that forms the basis of the state constitution, are being breached by the mandatory judicial retirement rule. Judge Clark said, "In our nation we do not permit generalizations to be the yardstick by which we measure the merits of any man or woman." Amen to that.
SOURCE Dechert LLP
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV