A Look Back At Some Major CEO Flameouts
In addition to disappointing earnings, Dell had recalled more than 4 million potentially flammable notebook batteries made by Sony Corp. in August 2006. The company's accounting practices had come under federal scrutiny as well.
The key parallel between Rollins and Penney's Johnson may have been overpromising. Rollins took the reins of a company doing a little more than $40 billion a year in business and painted pictures of bumping that to $80 billion â¿¿ which Dell has still not approached.
Rollins stepped down in early 2007. Founder Michael Dell took the CEO job back.
___AP Business Writers Candice Choi in New York, Dee-Ann Durbin in Detroit and David Koenig in Dallas contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV