You would think that airlines would be up in arms, but no. Airlines, like everybody else, play politics, so Delta fights this battle without support from the other two global U.S. airlines. Boeing is on the creditors committee in American's (AAMRQ.PK) bankruptcy. United (UAL) seems to have some sort of alliance with Boeing, based perhaps on Continental's long-time status as a Boeing-only airline, perhaps based on their relationship as prominent Chicago companies. For its part, ALPA, which has joined in the suit, believes it should protect jobs held by U.S. airline pilots. And Hawaiian competes with various international airlines.
Spokespersons for Boeing, the Ex-Im Bank and United declined to comment for this story.
By the way, Emirates announced on Monday that it has begun selling seats for its first trans-Atlantic flight: New York to Milan, for which service begins Oct.1. The flight will compete with Delta service on the same route. "The connection will be a game change for business travel," Emirates proclaimed, in a press release. In Milan, the flight will connect with Emirates' flight to Dubai, while at JFK it will connect with JetBlue (JBLU) flights. Among the many amenities available will be complimentary chauffeur-driven airport transportation for first and business class travelers. The aircraft? A Boeing 777-300ER.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV