Did CPI Corp. Violate The Warn Act When It Closed Suddenly And Laid Off Over 4,000 Employees?
PHILADELPHIA, April 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- CPI Corp. may have violated the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN Act"), when it closed without notice and laid off over 4,000 employees. The St. Louis-based operator of portrait studios inside major retail stores (Sears, Walmart and Toys R' Us) has been struggling financially for sometime and defaulted on loans with its lenders recently.
Charles A. Ercole, a partner with the law firm of Klehr Harrison Harvey Branzburg LLP said, "We are investigating the facts behind the decision not to notify these employees at least sixty (60) days in advance of the shutdown. It certainly appears that CPI violated the WARN Act because clearly CPI had sufficient time and knowledge to give 60 days notice of the layoff to employees as well as state and local officials." Damages for failing to comply with the WARN Act include 60 days wages and fringe benefits for each employee.
Mr. Ercole has litigated numerous WARN Act cases in various industries throughout the United States. Mr. Ercole is Chair of the labor and employment practice at Klehr Harrison which is a full service law firm located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. If you have any questions, please contact Charles A. Ercole at the address below.
Charles A. Ercole, EsquireKlehr Harrison Harvey Branzburg LLP 1835 Market Street - Suite 1400 Philadelphia, PA 19103 firstname.lastname@example.org 215-569-4282
SOURCE Klehr Harrison Harvey Branzburg, LLP
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV