New Poll Of Small Business Owners Reveals Strong Bipartisan Opposition To Corporate Tax Loopholes
First Poll on Oversea Tax Havens Reforms Finds Rejection of "Territorial" Tax System
WASHINGTON, April 9, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Small business owners oppose the current system for taxing U.S. multinational corporations, according to a new, first-of-its-kind poll. The national scientific poll released today by the American Sustainable Business Council (ASBC) and the Main Street Alliance (MSA) shows that support for reform is bipartisan and widespread.
For the first time, small business owners were surveyed on specific reforms for overseas corporate tax havens. Current tax law enables companies to defer indefinitely taxes on profits earned overseas. The ASBC-MSA poll tested three possible reforms: ending deferral, instituting a territorial system, and establishing combined reporting.
Key findings from the survey include:
- (85%) of small business owners oppose a territorial tax system, which would permanently exempt offshore profits from U.S. taxation.
- 76% support closing overseas tax loopholes by implementing a unitary combined reporting system, which would limit the ability of corporations to avoid taxes by shifting profits offshore.
- 64% support ending deferral, a provision of current tax code that allows corporations to indefinitely defer payment of U.S. taxes on profits made or shifted offshore.
- By a margin of more than two to one, small business owners prefer to close corporate tax loopholes rather than cut government spending.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV