In late 2010, PICO made a foray into agribusiness, funding construction of a canola crushing plant in Minnesota, which went into production during the third quarter of 2012. Operating as Northstar Agri Industries (PICO owns 88%), the business delivered more than 50% of PICO's entire 2012 revenue, despite the fact that it was operational for less than two quarters. Northstar is not yet profitable, but it does open the door to the steady revenue stream that PICO lacked.
I took my first position in the name primarily due to the company's vast land and water rights holdings. While the water rights remain, the company sold off the land subsidiary, Nevada Land and Resource Company in late 2011, which at one time owned more than 1.2 million acres of former railroad land. After selling off pieces strategically over the years, the final 480,000 acres garnered $31 million in cash. In late 2012, PICO sold two of its two insurance subsidiaries Physician Insurance Company of Ohio, and Citation Insurance Company, which were both in run-off, for $44.4 million.
I've owned PICO shares on and off since 2003, with the most recent position established in late November, when shares fell below $18. Shares are up 31% since then, but I've been to the dance with PICO before, and in true Forrest Gump fashion, the company is a bit like a "box of chocolates". You never know what you are going to get.
At the time of publication the author is long PICO.Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV