Smithsonian Celebrates Global Reach Of Jazz During Jazz Appreciation Month
The Smithsonian operates the world's most comprehensive set of jazz programs and the National Museum of American History is home to jazz collections that include 100,000 pages of Duke Ellington's unpublished music and such objects as Ella Fitzgerald's famous red dress, Dizzy Gillespie's angled trumpet, John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" manuscript and Benny Goodman's clarinet. A number of jazz treasures, including Gillespie's trumpet, Tony Bennett's oil painting of Fitzgerald and Herbie Hancock's cordless keyboard are on display on the second floor. To contribute to the JAM Endowment, contact the Office of External Affairs at 202-633-4334 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra was founded in 1990 with an appropriation from the U.S. Congress in recognition of the importance of jazz in American culture and its status as a national treasure. The 17-member big band, led by conductor and artistic director Charlie Young, serves as the orchestra-in-residence at the National Museum of American History. Its concerts include transcribed works, as well as new arrangements, commissioned works and programs that illuminate the contributions of small ensembles and jazz masters who contributed to the development of American jazz and defined the music's character. Tickets are required for SJMO performances. More information about the SJMO is available at www.sjmo.org.
The National Museum of American History is located at 14th Street and Constitution Avenue N.W., and is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (closed Dec. 25). Admission is free. For more information, visit http://americanhistory.si.edu.
SOURCE Smithsonian's National Museum of American History
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV