Renewable Energy Won't Stop Climate Change According To Truthout Interview With Scholar And Author
SACRAMENTO, Calif., April 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Renewable energy is neither clean nor a solution to climate change according to a new Truthout interview with Ozzie Zehner, a visiting scholar at the University of California – Berkeley and author of the book Green Illusions. Instead of "hyping so-called green energy," Zehner advocates redirecting focus to the impacts of a growing human population and consumption. "If we want to address climate change and the many other consequences of energy production," remarks Zehner, "we'll need to greatly reduce both consumption and the number of people consuming over time."
Zehner argues that "there is no such thing as clean energy, but there is such a thing as less energy." He highlights the disadvantages of renewable energy technologies such as solar cells, wind turbines, biomass, and electric cars. For instance, he claims, "we are now learning that the solar cell industry is one of the fastest growing emitters of virulent greenhouse gases such as sulfur hexafluoride, which has a global warming potential 23,000 times higher than CO2, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).""There is an impression that we have a choice between fossil fuels and clean energy technologies such as solar cells and wind turbines," Zehner remarks. "That choice is an illusion." He identifies how alternative energy technologies rely on fossil fuels throughout their lifecycles. "Alternative energy technologies rely on fossil fuels for mining operations, fabrication plants, installation, ongoing maintenance and decommissioning. Also, due to the irregular output of wind and solar, these technologies require fossil fuel plants to be running alongside them at all times. Most significantly, alternative energy financing relies on the kind of growth that fossil fuels drive."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV