Alcoa reported earnings of 11 cents per share, beating not only analysts' consensus amount of eight cents, but also beating the whisper number of 10 cents. Investors were still not impressed based on the shares falling below the closing price in after-hours trading. Unfortunately, without an improving economy, the shares may have more to fall.
Investors instead focused on shrinking revenue and expected lower aluminum prices. Net income was $149 million, a marked improvement from the loss produced in the same quarter last year. Still, not overly impressive for a company with a market cap of nearly $9 billion.
Based on current earnings with Monday's closing price, Alcoa is continues to trade at a relatively high price to earnings multiple above 20. For comparison, the S&P 500 ETF (SPY) trades at an average multiple of 18, and bellwether General Electric's (GE) P/E is 17.9, but pays a 3.3% dividend, more than double that of Alcoa.The Street's Richard Saintvilus thoroughly spelled it out in his earnings preview article
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV