By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Goodyear Tire & Rubber (GT) has pulled back to a key support level, and the bulls stepped in Monday.
OptionMonster's scanners detected massive bullish option buying in the tire company, with more than 26,000 May 13 calls traded in volume that dwarfed the previous open interest of just 729 contracts. The calls went for 30 cents and 35 cents in early blocks, then fetched as much as 50 cents by late in the afternoon.
These calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares and can provide significant leverage on a percentage basis, something that could be seen clearly in Monday's session.Goodyear shares ended the day higher by 2.22% at $12.43. The bounce came after it returned to the $12 level that was resistance several times in late 2012, which could be leading some chart watchers to believe that it's ready to start climbing again. The company hasn't yet announced the date of its first-quarter earnings report but last year it occurred on April 27. Those May 13s will provide exposure through the release if a similar schedule is followed. Total option volume was 15 times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 12-1. Russell has no positions in GT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV