TEL AVIV, Israel, April 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Alvarion ® Ltd. (Nasdaq:ALVR), a global provider of optimized wireless broadband solutions addressing the connectivity, coverage and capacity challenges of public and private networks, today announced that its point-to-point and point-to-multipoint solutions have been deployed by Burgeo Broadcasting System (BBS), to help power its wireless offerings for businesses and residents in rural Newfoundland, Canada.
The goal of the BBS Information Communications Technology (ICT) Project is to create a high-speed, wireless network link to enhance essential services and to facilitate economic development across Newfoundland's southwest coast in the five remote communities of Burgeo, François, Grand Bruit, Grey River and Ramea.
"Alvarion's wireless broadband technology enables the people of our five communities to connect with each other and the world at large," said Dave MacDonald, Project Manager, BBS. "This connectivity is a critical life-line for our residents and essential to the health of our people and our economy."Using Alvarion's point-to-point solutions, the BreezeULTRA and BreezeNET® B, and point-to-multipoint solution, the BreezeACCESS® VL, BBS is delivering a range of high-speed, wireless data, voice and video applications across the region such as:
- Healthcare: Doctors are using telemedicine to serve patients, who typically travel great distances to the nearest care facility, by using video to care for individuals in rural communities. Alvarion's high-bandwidth capabilities enable the telemedicine networks to wirelessly connect providers and patients 24/7.
- Education: Videoconferencing solutions are leveling the playing field for students across rural Newfoundland. For example, Alvarion's low-latency solution can allow a music teacher to stream a symphony or a science teacher to broadcast a live dissection without picture disruption or jitter.
- Tourism: At the Gross Morne National Park Alvarion is enabling Wi-Fi access for visitors and workers where cellular coverage is unavailable to connect a concession building, point-of-sale terminals and real-time weather information boards to enable a better visitor experience.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts